Thursday 30 January 2003

I feel very old (at 21, work that out). Looking at this years Triple J Hottest 100 I realised that i've never heard half the songs, and at least a third of the artists are a mystery to me too.
Of the 50% in there that I am familiar with I can't find one song I would actually vote for. By the biggest default in history I'd go for Eminem's "Without Me".

Also notable about the list is JJJ's devotion to not using capital letters wherever possible. Does that mean they're edgy, or just stupid? I demand a portion of my 12 cents a day be contributed to these uncouth youngsters going back to school.

I can't say the list has a great pedigree though. Previous winners include middle of the road whinge rock (cough, cough) like "Zombie" by the Cranberries, "Wonderwall" by Oasis, "My Happiness" by Powderfinger and Alex Lloyd's "Amazing" as well as pissy novelty songs like "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" - proof surely that the listeners are slightly less 'alternative' than the national broadcaster would have you believe.

Mind you, these are the people who once voted "Teardrops" by Womack and Womack as the 52nd greatest song of all time. You pretty much should have known then that it wasn't going to be the most definative list around.

Check out the past lists and play the "Who?" game. Everytime you spot somebody who has fallen off the face of the earth score 1 point. I'm up to 1991 and about 200 points (Ratcat? - Fuck off!)

No comments: