Tuesday 25 January 2005

Unaustralian

Australia day eh? I’m finding it hard to get motivated. Top country and everything but the ceremony itself doesn’t do much for me. It’s not some sort of wacky Invasion Day protest - just general apathy. I’m very pro-Australia and whenever I see shit exploding in other countries I’m thankful for the generally kick ass standard of living here but outrageous displays of patriotism aren’t my thing.

The only thing that really shits me about it is more fireworks. I dislike fireworks. Apologies to any licensed pyrotechnic experts reading but the whole thing is a massive waste of money. If you’re going to blow something up at least follow the great Aussie tradition of nuking somebody else’s letterbox or back shed.

Now if you want to take the boxing kangaroo in one hand and recite the second verse of Advance Australia Fair atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge whilst waving the flag in the other then more power to you. Personally I’ll be enjoying the cheap day off.

No comments: