Sunday 25 January 2004

These kids need a dose of military service

I caught the very start and end of the Triple J Hottest 100 on either side of work today. Sure, I don't even listen to the station but it's, like, a tradition or some shit like that now. Anyway, none of the songs I voted for managed to crack the top or bottom ten so we'll just assume they didn't make it at all until I see a complete list.

Anyway, I've noticed that every year there's a bandwagon song that's released in the month of the poll and takes a position far higher than it would have achieved were it released six months earlier. I've never been a big Smashing Pumpkins fan - in fact I've hardly been a small fan either - but if "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" was a #2 behind fucking "Wonderwall" in 1995 I'll be the proverbial monkey's uncle. That's when I turned on the station - I haven't listened to it for more than a few minutes at a time since. What a top 10 that year though - two TISM songs, Custard and Everclear. Shame about the Coolio/Presidents of the USA/Bjork rubbish, but we'll ignore that.

But I digress. This years flavor of the month song was Hey Ya! by Outkast. Now, I like it. I really do. As previously discussed it's the first ARIA chart #1 song I've liked in 18 months. It might potentially even be the best song of the year but you can't tell me it would have cracked the top 10 if it had been released in May. Incidentally the #1 was "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet. Which means at least
75% of this year's top spot rightfully belongs to one Mr. Iggy Pop who that song was shamelessly ripped off from.

UPDATE - The only two songs I voted for that made it.
33: Gay Bar - Electric Six (Don't get any ideas..)
28: Danger! (High Voltage) Electric Six and Jack White

And where, pray tell, was Red Morning Light by Kings of Leon? You people voted the Cat fucking Empire into the top 10 but no room for this? I'll see you all in a year.

No comments: