Saturday 24 January 2004

See Melbourne and die

This story about the Melbourne CBD is rather interesting.

GANGS and drunks have made Flinders St station and Swanston St the most feared city spots for workers, shoppers and students.
And seven in 10 CBD visitors say they don't feel safe hitting the town on Saturday and Sunday nights, a City of Melbourne report reveals.

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I've walked around the city hundreds of times in the middle of the night and never had a problem - maybe I've been lucky but it's fairly obvious to me that the pissheads keep to themselves and the worst you're going to get from them is maybe some randomly shouted out abuse. Which I'm sure we can all deal with. And if you can't you can probably kick their asses because they're all so drunk.


Last night, though, I was walking from Swanston St to Russell and it struck me just how sleazy that section of shops is. Especially the KFC and the pub upstairs between it and the TAB. It's not 'dangerous' walking through there but it sure is ugly. Deploy the Bogan Inspector I say. You'd wipe out three quarters of the people in the city that way.

No comments: