Monday 12 May 2003

Yesterday at the football I realised just what I miss after the death of the Ponsford Stand. When Melbourne were playing another team with no fans (effectively everyone except Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond) you could stand right up the back of the top deck and be as much of a prick as you wanted without having to worry about offending anyone else. I can just imagine having been the only person for a hundred metres amongst the blockbusting crowd of 12,000 there yesterday. There was far too much banter with my fellow supporters, I didn't think much of it.

Of course the flip-side to the equation is that when the team finally wins some kind of competition you want as many of your fellow supporters there as possible to celebrate with. Unfortunately when you follow Melbourne there's not much danger of that happening.

No comments: