Wednesday 7 May 2003

Something I never grow tired of is the elevator music you hear in Melbourne's City Loop train stations. Presumably it's being played to stop marauding gangs of teenagers congregating but sometimes it crosses the line from deterrant to laughing stock.

Usually you get the kind of middle-of-the-road stuff you'd hear on what cocaine-snorting executives term "Adult contemporary" radio. A decent example for Melbourne viewers would be 3MP. It's all Neil Diamond, The Carpenters and Carole King. A bit of Roger Voudoruis or Rocky Burnette would be nice too, but you can't have everything.

Today they raised the bar to an all-new record by playing what seemed to be an entire CD of Abba instrumentals. I was down there for 10 minutes waiting for my train home and I got Dancing Queen, Knowing Me Knowing You and a couple of others, complete with xylophone solos. Now, I know it's sad that I could actually identify these tunes without the words but that's the kind of person I am ok?

Anyway, that was my entertainment for the afternoon. I'd like to be the person who selects what they play so that just as I was going to quite I could spin some tunes like "Cop Killer" and "Fuck tha Police" for comedy value. It's good to have an aim in life isn't it?

No comments: