Friday 30 May 2003

Down with shonky journalism!

From this afternoon I'm boycotting the shithouse free newspaper MX that gets handed about in the city every night. It's a fairly cheap and nasty read as it is but after a pair of cheap shots levelled at the Melbourne Football Club and Melbourne fans this afternoon I won't be reading their scrap paper again. I'm sure this won't exactly hurt them as half a million people read the thing every day 'cos it's free but it must be done.

The treeswingers who write their football section dare to say that "even Melbourne fans won't bother to watch" the game against Brisbane tomorrow night and that we're the team that "nobody in Melbourne cares about, not even their fans"

Let me tell you second-rate journalistic hacks that there are still some of us who do care. When I opened the paper this morning and saw that they'd dropped Ryan Ferguson instead of Brad Miller and preferred the completely inexperienced Mark Jamar ahead of Darren Jolly I uttered an obscenity that was heard across most of Camberwell Station and was so distressed I refused to read the rest of the paper until lunchtime.

We're going to get absolutely hammered tomorrow night, but it doesn't mean we're not passionate (the guy behind me at the Fremantle game was in danger of having a massive coronary) and it doesn't give some $2 tossers from a free newspaper who probably support whichever team are the Premiers that year ("I used to love Essendon, but now I'm right behind those Brisbane Lions!") to take the piss out of us.

No comments: