Wednesday 6 November 2002

Melbourne Cup day kicks ass... I'm sure foreign people can't understand why we have a public holiday for a horse race but it's such a huge thing here we don't think twice about it.

I remember the last time I had a job (that's 1999 for anyone who's counting) when I had to work at Video Satan on Cup Day and some woman walked in at 3.31 totally unaware of what was going on and why no cars were on the streets. Then for the next three minutes she proceeded to laugh at me as the horse I backed got completely poleaxed 200m out from home and I bashed my head up and down on the desk in front of her and some kid.

Today I had a raft of bets all of which, as tradition dictates, will fail miserably.

Just to prove how sad our country is, there is already $10.8m dollars bet on the race and that doesn't count people who have bet online or with bookmakers.

What a great country we live in.

No comments: