Saturday 9 November 2002

Awesome news item of the day, thanks to Portal of Evil News (is there anything I won't link to today?) ...

The Hollywood Reporter brings word that Pac-Man will finally be getting his own film, to be produced by Crystal Sky

This made me think about who the greatest video game characters of all time. None of this Lara-Croft rubbish, i'm talking about arcade action here baby. And this is where my practice of linking EVERYTHING is going to come in handy - because i'm sure a lot of people have no idea half these games existed. So, in no particular order...

1 - The Original Donkey Kong . Actually that SNES/N64 Donkey Kong is only supposed to be the newphew of the original. What a fraud.

2/3 - The Brothers from Double Dragon . Their names were Billy and Jimmy Lee trivia fans.

4 - The Gorilla from Congo Bongo . A poor man's Donkey Kong, but a hero nonetheless.

5 - The Ghost from 720 Degrees "SKATE OR DIE!", I was so shattered as a kid when I went out and rented the NES game "Skate or Die" thinking it was a conversion of 720. Turned out to be a great game anyway, but it was just another seed in my total unabating loyalty in Sega.

6 - Paperboy . Any game where you can lob newspapers at Break Dancers and ghosts can never be forgotten. I remember going to Expo 88 in Brisbane when I was seven-years-old and finding this on Free Play. Suffice to say I stayed there half the day and missed going on a bunch of shitty rides.

7. E-Honda from Street Fighter 2. Fat and Japanese, enough said? You had to love that scam you could pull off in Championship Edition where if somebody played as Balrog you could just do the Hundred Hand Slap and win perfect every time. I have happy memories of doing that to so many drug addicts in this riggy little arcade next to where my mother worked years ago.

8. Sonya from Mortal Kombat . The biggest fox in video gaming history, I note that when they took her out of MK2 the game went totally downhill.

9. The Knight-type-dude from Ghosts 'n Goblins. Heroic - Enough said.

10th, and probably my favourite of all must be the little guy out of Elevator Action . He runs, he jumps, he collects secret documents and drives away in a little car marked "Spy". And his name is Otto, which gives it a vaguely evil "Behind the Iron Curtain" feel.

Apologies to the guy from Rolling Thunder who walks around as if he has a foreign object lodged in his butt and of course to Pac Man himself.

What a long and pointless post.

No comments: