Sunday 6 April 2003

Well, against all odds I actually rounded somebody else up and used my free tickets to the Melbourne Santana concert tonight. It pretty much all went over my head, but the punters seemed to love it and they actually payed their $98.50 (!) so I guess that's all that counts.

My knowledge of Latino music extends merely to some song by Gloria Estefan and that Barcelona Olympic theme so I might have been missing the point but by the halfway mark I'd have enough guitar solos to last a lifetime. Then they decided to debut the 20 minute drum solo. Yes, that's 20 minutes. A third of an hour in my life that'll I'll never get back. Sure, I appreciate the impressive amount of endurance it took to perform but that didn't detract from the fact that it was horrifically boring. Even the "we'll cheer anything" yobbos next to me calmed down for a second about 12 minutes in.

The most amusing part of my night was discovering just how much Carlos himself looked like our old friend Saddam Hussein. I waited the whole night for the US 5th Marine Division to pour out of the audience and launch a decapitation attack on the rhythm section (and probably kill several innocent bystanders and half their own squadron at the same time) but alas it was not to be.

He also started spouting random catchphrases at various points during the evening. Some madness about love and being a positive virus to spread the message about peace to the rest of the world. Admirable sentiments, and the crowd ate it up, but it made him sound completely and utterly barking to tell the truth.

Oh, and I passively smoked enough Ganja to ensure that i'll never pass a drug test again in my life. Thanks ageing hippies!

No comments: